Wednesday 6 March 2013

Cards for Mums

I finished making a couple of cards last night, both of them, in different ways, cards for mums.
 
The first was my card to send to my mum for Mother's Day:
 
 
I had the idea for this card when my latest order of Stampin' Up! goodies arrived the other week. I love love *love* the new Bitty Butterfly punch that coordinates with some of the stamps from the Papillon Potpourri stamp set (one of my recent favourites - I love butterfly stamps! :D) and it's sooo easy to make pretty butterflies using these stamps and the coordinating punch. I've seen cards recently in blogland using e.g. punched flowers to make a shape, such as a heart shape, and decided to try and do the same using punched butterflies.
 
So I stamped a whole load of butterflies in 3 different colours and then punched them all out. Sooo quick and easy! Can you imagine how long it would have taken to cut out all these butterflies by hand?! :lol:
 
I printed a heart shape on my computer and cut it out and then set to glueing all the butterflies onto it until the shape was covered. I added a little sentiment that I made using the Simply Serif Mini Alphabet stamps, Pretty Petites stamp set and coordinating Petite Curly Label punch, all from Stampin' Up!
 
 
To make the card, I cut a panel of white card and embossed it with the Elegant Bouquet embossing folder from Stampin' Up! and attached it to my card blank then attached my butterfly heart shape in the middle of the card.
 
 
Et voila. I hope mum likes it. :)
 
The other card I made is for a new mum. DD1's keyworker at pre-school went off on maternity leave at half term.. and on Monday this week she gave birth to a bouncing 10lb(!!) baby girl. :) She's a lovely lady and DD1 really likes her so I thought it'd be nice to make her a card (and I got her a small gift too) and ask the school to pass it along to her:
 
 
I used an adorable digi stamp from Dilly Beans called Bunny Suit. I coloured it with Promarkers and a white gel pen and, for a bit of added dimension, I decided to *kind of* decoupage it. I very carefully cut around the little bunny girl, separating her from the stripey background. I then cut a pretty scalloped edge frame from white card using my Cameo and attached the background and the figure to it, gluing the background down straight onto the frame and attached the figure using foam tape.
 
 
I covered my card blank with some pretty pink dotty paper (another freebie with a craft magazine!) and added some pretty lace and some pleated pink ribbon (from Stampin' Up!). I attached the framed image using foam tape and finished things off with a couple of flowers and a word art sentiment that I made myself using my Cameo (more through necessity than choice as the Silhouette online store has been messing about and wouldn't properly download the word art sentiment I had bought!!).
 
 
I'm entering this card into the current Stripes challenge at the Dilly Beans challenge blog.
 

2 comments:

sharon said...

The butterfly card looks great x

Jenn Borjeson said...

Gorgeous, love the pink. Thanks for joining us at Dilly Beans. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...